A widespread reason to try sedation dentistry is to help get over your anxiety of the dentist. It is estimated that 9 to 15 percent of adults in the U.S. avoid the dentist because of their phobia. A sedation dentist could be just the solution that these people need.
While searching for your dentist, it is vital that you speak with your prospective sedation dentist so you completely know their best practices and the full breadth of the treatment. Sedation dentistry isn’t practiced everywhere, so you may be required to travel in order to come across a professional sedation dentist. Here are some important questions and suggestions to keep in mind:
- How proficient is the dentist in sedation?
- Are you the kind of person that the dentist sees on a consistant basis? If you are not their typical kind of patient, you may want to seek a sedation dentist that is more used to working with your specific situation.
- There are varying kinds of sedation. Find out what form of sedation the dentist suggests.
- Is this dental practice a one-stop practice where all of your dental requirements can be fulfilled? Does your sedation dentist have strong relationships with other dental specialists such as periodontists, endodontists, and prosthodontists?
- Is your insurance covered using this sedation dentist office?